January 28, 2011

FBFF: Blogger Mechanics

This week's Friend Friday is focusing on all the important "tools" that help us all blog.

1. What technology do you use in blogging? My camera is nice but nothing top of the line - It is a Kodak EasyShare Z1012 IS that my mom and boyfriend bought for me for my birthday years ago. I'm pretty sure it could take better photos (especially inside!) if I learned to use it a bit better but I have yet to take the initiative to do so. My camera and I have a love-hate relationship. I love it when I take photos outside - they pretty much always turn out amazing. I hate it when I take pictures inside - they always turn out pretty terrible... but that has a lot to do with the terrible lighting inside my apartment and my lack of know how to work on it.
My Camera

2. What computer and online technology do you use? I use a DELL desktop computer. Don't even bother asking me what the exact model is because I wouldn't be able to tell you. As for online technology... I think I am a purist. The only image program I use is the free version of Irfanview and I use that next to never... I will sometimes play around with photos in this program or Picnik but I usually end up just using the original version straight from my camera. I honestly change next to nothing about my photos - what you see if what you get. Whether this is a good thing is up to you! :)

3. What is your process for taking pictures? It usually goes like this: Get out of work at 4:30pm and rush, rush, rush to get home and hope that there is still enough light outside to allow me a good photo taken outside. This is what it is like lately: Never happens as it gets dark so early in the day. Thanks, winter. I prefer to take photos out on my balcony because 1.) My camera takes way better photos in natural light and 2.) I like the way the brick looks as a backdrop to my photo. Also, I take all of my own photos. I had my boyfriend take my picture once and I looked like a turd in every single shot because he was either talking to me (so I chatted back) or was making me laugh. I work better as a solo artist - just me and my Walmart tripod. I usually take at least ten photos (usually more) a day, look at each using the Irfanview program, then upload my favorites to my flickr account, which is where I host all my photos. I can't say enough good things about flickr. I've had an account there for years!

4. When it comes to backdrops for your photos what do you consider? Do you scout locations or shoot the same spot daily? I would love to take photos in different spots daily but I'm just not that cool. :) I personally think I'm too shy to take photos in public places, especially when it's just me and my tripod. Plus, I work full time so I don't feel like I have the time to do that often enough anyway. My background of choice? The brick of my apartment exterior wall. Nice and simple.

5. If you could splurge and get one new piece of equipment what would you be buying? A new camera, for sure. I would love to get a new camera as the one I have now is getting up there in age.

What is FBFF? It's a weekly discussion hosted by Katy at Modly Chic. Want to learn more and participate in Fashion Beauty Friend Friday? Click the link and learn how to join in!

5 comments:

  1. Great answers...I know how you feel about the daylight...its soooo frustrating isnt it? Especially when you know you are rockin an outfit in the morning, and you spend all day trying to figure out how to get home early enough to take pics, hehehe

    Stop by and say Hello:)
    Enter my e.l.f Cosmetics Giveaway!!♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sooo excited that the days are finally getting a little bit longer! It's so hard to squeeze in photos during the work week. Usually I do it before work (but I'm usually in a rush) or on my lunch break!
    The indoor shots that I've seen on your blog look pretty darn good to me! I just wish I had some walls that were bare/free of clutter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always wonder what those girls with tripods do in public. I HATE doing it in public, too, but at least with my fella there we can pretend we are doing something else.
    If I didn't have him, I'd be an inside picture person for sure.

    The Auspicious Life

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always wonder what those girls with tripods do in public. I HATE doing it in public, too, but at least with my fella there we can pretend we are doing something else.
    If I didn't have him, I'd be an inside picture person for sure.

    The Auspicious Life

    ReplyDelete
  5. On the plus side the days are getting a little longer. And I totally think it would be worthwhile to read through your manual to see if you can get those great indoor photos you're looking for. - Katy

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover