November 7, 2011

Getting Fit & Fab in Active by Old Navy

So, I'd like to talk about fashion today but not the usual type of fashion you're used to seeing here. Let's have a little chat about active wear AKA gym wear.

First off, you should know that I am no gym rat. Sometimes I take my workouts really seriously and go on a regular basis. More often than not, lately, I have had a hard time motivating myself to get there - but we'll talk about that more later.

Now, I'm not typically the type that cares very much about what I am wearing to the gym. An ancient pair of stretchy pants and an old tshirt and I am pretty much good to go. Spending a lot of money or time thinking about what I am going to wear to the gym just isn't my thing. I just want to throw it on after work, wipe any makeup off, throw my hair up and head out. Work out, sweat out the day's aggressions and go home. The gym is not my runway. I think you will find that evident...

Fashion Frugality Reviews: Old Navy Active Wear

However, when I had the chance to check out some new active wear, I jumped at the chance. Like I said before, the gym has not exactly been my favorite place lately. And when I say that, I mean I've probably been there once or twice over the past three months. It just hasn't been in my list of things to do but, unfortunately, I am paying the price and need to add it back into that list. When I don't go to the gym on a somewhat regular basis, I become crabby, sluggish and all around blah. Plus, I've been feeling a little bit on the meatball side which is never desirable when you go to put on your jeans, am I right? :)

So, maybe you're wondering where I went for this new active wear, right? I think you might be surprised!

old navy

Yes, seriously, Old Navy! I love the place when it comes to everyday fashions but gym wear... I know, I know! I had the same thought! However, never one to say no to a trip to Old Navy, I headed over to one of my favorite local stores with my best friend, Alicia, to check out their selection of activewear courtesy of Crowdtap as I am part of their Old Navy Style Council.

old navy

The minute we got there, we were excited to check this stuff out. I had done a little window shopping online prior to coming to the store so that I would have an idea of what they had to offer and what I wanted to try on. I knew for sure that I wanted a pair of the compression pants, not capris, as capris would be too chilly to wear to the gym during the winter. I also knew that I wanted a sleeved top, not a tank as that isn't something I normally wear to the gym without something else over top of it.

old navy

We each grabbed a few different pieces and headed off to the dressing rooms. (Oops.... how did that non active wear get into my room!? Hee Hee...) That magenta top was one of the first pieces I grabbed from their Active line - I really liked the color and the detail near the shoulders.

2011-10-20_20-14-52_154

After trying a couple different pieces on, I ended up deciding on the two you see above. Although I liked the color of the prior jacket, I felt I could get more use out of a black one. I also liked that this jacket zipped down all the way, making it easy to quickly take off while working out if need be. Additionally, the black jacket fit me nicely, which made me kind of excited to wear it! Who would have thought - like your outfit and you might want to wear it! Why have I never applied this to the gym before!?

2011-10-20_20-16-54_960

The pants I selected were also extremely comfortable, breathable yet snug enough to keep my body in check while working out. One of my favorite things they included in the design was this little zipper pocket located in the back of the waistband that you can stash your car key or some cash in. So thoughtful!

old navy

Delighted with our picks, we headed to the register. We ended up buying the same jacket and the same pants. Great minds often think alike, do they not? :)

2011-10-20_20-33-02_579

And off we went with our new active wear! I was pretty excited to try it out... it actually gave me the push I needed to get back to the gym that week. I guess a new outfit can work wonders in all types of situations...

Fashion Frugality Reviews: Old Navy Active Wear
Jacket: Old Navy Active Performance Jacket, c/o Crowdtap
Pants: Women's Active Compression Pants, c/o Crowdtap
Tshirt: Pacific (old)
Sneakers: Reebok Easy Tone


After using these pieces at the gym for the past two weeks, I can honestly say that they are so much better than my old gym wear. They kept me cooler and drier and I honestly feel much more pumped about going to the gym. It didn't take a lot, but I feel a lot more put together when I head out than I did before.

Fashion Frugality Reviews: Old Navy Active Wear
I'm ready to PUMP you up!

I was a bit apprehensive to think that good workout wear could come from Old Navy, but now I'm a believer! The frosting on this cake is that the prices fit my budget, which is something I require. For example, the jacket I am wearing above is currently on sale for $35, while the same jacket in a different color is just $19! That is great! Plus, as an avid Old Navy shopper, I know they often have coupons that can be combined with their outstanding sales.

So, now let's chat: Where do you buy your workout gear from? What is important to you in your gym wear? Do you wear old sweats to the gym or what? Why? I want to know!

My Old Navy Active jacket and pants were paid for with a coupon I received from Crowdtap. As a member of the Old Navy Style Council, I was able to redeem this coupon for one pair of pants and top of my own choosing. In addition, they provided one additional coupon for a friend. I was not required to give a positive review.

5 comments:

  1. How cool...congrats to you girlie....love the active wear pieces.....Old Navy has really been changing it up lately..I must go in and take a peek:)

    Enter my Icelandic Design Knit Hat Giveaway!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you look fab in your new active wear! Totally gym ready :) I have a pair of yoga pants from Old Navy and running top, but don't wear the pants very often because they're capris. I have a lot from Target...their bright sport bras are my fave and they have some cute tops. Since I have to wear active wear when I teach, I'm always looking for new stuff. I might have to go find that jacket :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such an awesome post! It's so true that workout clothes can make a HUGE difference in how you feel about working out. I really need to grab some new gym clothes, I often wear old clothes that double as my PJs... whoops. When I do spend money on clothing like this, I often get it at Target. Great prices, and sale racks that rock.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE your new workout attire! You look super badass!

    That was the best Old Navy trip I've ever had - thanks for taking me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You really made that dress work for you! Love the mix of prints!

    P.S. How come I always forget to do EBEW!?

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover