September 20, 2010

Fashion Reality

If there is one thing that bothers me when I read a fashion blog/site, it's that the author never seems to have an "off" day. You know... they always look amazing, are dressed to the nines, a hair is never out of place. I'm not trying to say that this look may not be true for some people - I'm sure that it is! BUT. But... everyone? Really? None of you ever wear sweats? Or do you just find it not worth documenting?

I guess I'm different.
WIW: 09/20/10 (Day Off)
White Tee: Clearance buy @ Charlotte Russe last year
Grey Hoodie: Thrifted last year
Jeans: Old Navy (the Sweetheart), $15
Shoes: Silver quilted flats - $7 on clearance at Meijer
Glasses: My beloved cat eyes from SEE Eyewear

Yep, this is reality some days. I had today off of work so I spent it running some errands - mainly stocking up on groceries for the week. Personally, I don't have the energy to look amazing every single day. I don't want to spend my day off dressing up to go to the grocery store. Simple jeans and my favorite hoodie won the outfit war today.

WIW: 09/20/10 (Day Off)

Don't get me wrong - I realize why most wouldn't post a look like this. It's not exciting. It's not amazing. It's not inspiring. But, you know what, I'm ok with that. I'm a real girl and real girls sometimes don't always look their best - I wouldn't want to pretend otherwise!

What are your thoughts on this? Do you dress like this on certain days and just choose not to show it to your audience? Why don't you? Let me know!

9 comments:

  1. Hi darling!
    Love this casual look!
    And we all have our off days; just good editing I guess :)

    xoxox,
    CC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I love it when bloggers post something they don't consider to be their usual "fashionable" self. It's so much more real. I seriously wonder what some bloggers look like on their days "off".

    That having been said, I don't generally post my "off day" outfits, even if I do like them. Why? Partly because I don't post too often (twice a week), so when I do I want the posts to be good. Also partly because taking pictures involves work: i.e. having my shared room to myself and posing awkwardly and resizing the pictures. But on some level I do think I do fall into the trap of perpetuating the notion that I look my best everyday. Which is in no way true. It's so refreshing when other people acknowledge that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carrie - Very true. I see the need for this editing, for sure. Constantly having "boring everyday outfits" would get a bit boring to look at after all!

    Genevive - That is a great point! I can totally see not posting "off outfits" if you don't post very often. I wouldn't want anyone to stumble upon my blog, take one look at those outfits and think "why am I wasting my time" and never come again. Very good point! I am ALL over the idea of quality over quantity! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Katie! thanks for visiting Prime Beauty today! This is an OFF day? You look fantasatic! Who says jeans, a cute casual top and adorable flats isn't fasionable? Believe me I see people at the grocery store looking much, much worse. You're charming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good point! I personally find it harder to dress casual than it is to dress up. Love YOUR cas look though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. your "off day" look is waaaay cuter than mine! of course i have off days, that's why i only blog about once a week - when i have an "on day." :oD

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cindy - Aw, thanks! You are VERY correct in saying you've seen worse!

    Adiel - Thank you! I can see that - A couple years ago, I don't think I owned more than one pair of jeans. They just weren't my thing. I think my boyfriend helped me become more comfortable with a casual look - at least every once in a while. :)

    Hello Miss Higgenbottom! It's refreshing to hear that others have off days too! Sometimes it seems like the most fashionable never seem to have such days! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with the second part of Genevieve's comment. I try to post every day (which goes to show that I think consistency is more important than quality... -_-) but when I'm dressed down, it's usually because I feel terrible that day, to the point where I don't want to take pictures of myself because it would be too much effort, not because I don't want to post what I'm wearing. (I also reserve a tag on my blog for outfits I like to dub "What the hell am I wearing," if that says anything about my philosophy toward outfit posts.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had been arguing with my close friend on this issue for quite a while, base on your ideas prove that I am right, let me show him your webpage then I am sure it must make him buy me a drink, lol, thanks.

    - Kris

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover